Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Octopus Shaker--#tgifc222

The TGIF Challenge this week is shaker cards.  Fun, fun, fun!  This challenge inspired me to make the shaker card I've been wanting to make since last year:


When I first got the Under the Sea dies, I saw the little fish die as a stencil maker and have only used it for that.  I always said I was going to save up the little fishies and make a shaker card, but never did.  So today was the day.  I die cut a bunch of little Crushed Curry fishies.  They are showing in the photo and hiding among the retired Tranquil Textures Sprinkles.

For my card, I made a porthole showing an octopus peeking inside the ship. I picked out this Sahara Sand textured design from Woven Threads designer series paper for the inside of my ship.  I mounted the paper on a piece of Whisper White card stock for strength and then cut a circle in it using the second largest plain circle die in the Layering Circles die set.  I used the largest and third largest circles to die cut a Silver Foil frame for my porthole.    I added the small silver metallic brads for the porthole hardware.

My Poppy Parade octopus from the Sea of Textures stamp set and the little fishies are swimming in a sea of Balmy Blue card stock. You can barely see it in the photo, but I used the long texture stamp in the same stamp set to create some texture in the water.  I stamped off the Balmy Blue ink twice before stamping the image for a subtle texture.  I added some tall sea plants in Mossy Meadow in first, second and third generation stamping. I die cut my octopus and then glued it down to my background.

The shaker portion was created with a piece of Window Sheet over the die cut hole in the top piece.  I added a circle of foam adhesive strips around the octopus and put two strips of the adhesive on either end of the Balmy Blue card stock.  Then I filled my "well" with the fishies and sprinkles and put the top piece over it.

To finish the card I added a piece of Night of Navy/Sahara Sand baker's twine to the top of the card and tied it in a square knot.  I mounted the shaker piece onto a Whisper White Thick card stock base.

I was going to add a greeting from the Sea of Textures stamp set; however, before I finished the card I received a call from a customer and friend.  She desperately needed a shaker card for her grandson's birthday and asked if I had any made.  God's timing was perfect.  I added "Happy Birthday" using the Well Said stamp set and the card is now in the mail headed to a special little boy.

There are so many ways you can incorporate a shaker element in your cards.  Head over to the TGIF Challenges Blog for some great inspiration.


Thanks for stopping by today!--Sara Nell




1 comment:

  1. What a great idea to use the little fishes in your shaker!!! I love your ocean-themed card!

    ReplyDelete

Creation Station April Blog Hop—Heat Embossing

  Welcome to the Creation Station Blog Hop for April.  Our theme this month is Heat Embossing.   We’ll be sharing heat embossing techniques ...