Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Black & White Studies in Texture -- #tgifc297

The TGIF Challenges color challenge this week is Black and White.  My cards today were inspired by an old episode of Trading Spaces.  I haven't watched Trading Spaces in years, so why it popped into my head I have no idea.  I remember the episode so well--one designer did a room all in white and the other designer did one all in black. So I challenged myself to do the same with my projects using lots of texture to create the layers.  One exception--the greeting on each card is in the opposite color to stand out.  How did I do?


Once I had my two card bases cut, I die cut the first layers using the largest Stitched Rectangles die (#151820).  I created texture on each of these layers using Embossing Paste (white, #141979) and one of the Basic Pattern Decorative Masks (#150697)--the polka dots on black and the stylized leaves on white.  The embossing paste for the black card was tinted black using the Tuxedo Black Memento ink refill (#133456).  The Palette Knives (#142808) were used to mix and spread the embossing paste.  While the embossing paste dried, I started on the layers for each card.

On the black card I layered die cuts from the Poppy Moments dies (#151594).  The solid poppies were embossed with the Subtle 3D embossing folder.  The greeting is from the Peaceful Moments stamp set (#151595).  It was stamped in VersaMark and heat embossed with White Stampin' Emboss Powder (#109132) and the Heat tool (#129053).  I used the smallest Stitched Rectangle die to die cut the greeting, running it through the Stampin' Cut & Emboss Machine (#149653) twice to shorten the rectangle.  

The white baker's twine from the Snail Mail Twine combo pack (#154566) was colored black using the Basic Black dark Stampin' Blends (#154843, combo pack).  It was wrapped around the card layer three times and tied in a bow prior to adding the die cuts.  All card stock on the card is Basic Black (#121045).


On the white card, the Detailed Hearts die (#151440) was used to create another layer over the embossing paste.  Over this layer two hearts die cut using the Stitched Be Mine dies (#151814).  The solid heart was embossed with the Old World Paper 3D embossing folder (#153200) and popped up over the scalloped edge heart with Stampin' Dimensionals.  

The greeting is from the new Always in My Heart stamp set (#154337).  It was stamped in VersaMark and heat embossed with Black Stampin' Emboss Powder (now retired).  It was die cut out using the banner die in the coordinating Floral Heart dies (#154306).  

I tied a bow of Polka Dot Tulle ribbon (#146912) diagonally around the card between the two large heart die cuts.  

The card stock used on this card is Whisper White Thick and Whisper White.  These two products and all Whisper White products have been discontinued.  These two  have been replaced by Basic White thick (#159229) and Basic White (#159276). 

Like the Trading Spaces rooms, I believe I like the all black best. It was unexpected, but the textures just give the black a richness that you don't see as much in the all white. This was certainly a challenge for me, but also a lot of fun.

See more black and white projects (most are going to be black and white on one card) over at the TGIF Challenges Blog here.


Have a great day!
--Sara Nell

   





 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Creation Station April Blog Hop—Heat Embossing

  Welcome to the Creation Station Blog Hop for April.  Our theme this month is Heat Embossing.   We’ll be sharing heat embossing techniques ...