Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Playing with a Retiring Favorite--#tgifc263

So, I did something a bit different today for the TGIF Challenges sketch challenge this week.  I decided I wanted to use the octopus in my retiring Sea of Textures stamp set (#146488) as the focal piece in the sketch.  Then I needed to figure out my background.  How about using the retiring Pigment Sprinkles (#149663)?   It was fun experimenting with this card.


Can you believe it?  I only used the Bermuda Bay pigment sprinkles on the background layer and I got these gorgeous Blackberry Bliss pockets of color on my card.  Kind of like the deep, deep ocean. That's why I love the pigment sprinkles, you never know what will happen when you use them. I wanted a lighter backdrop for my octopus in the top layer, so I first did a watercolor wash with Coastal Cabana ink, then taped off two of the holes in the the Bermuda Bay pigment bottle and lightly tapped on some sprinkles.  This gave me a swirly patch with just a bit of Rich Razzleberry.  The other sketch layers are Blackberry Bliss card stock and the Gray Granite netting die cut from the retiring Under the Sea dies (#146334).  The card base is Gray Granite.

The greeting is from the Sea of Textures stamp set. It was stamped in Blackberry Bliss on Gray Granite card card stock, heat embossed with Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder and punched out with the Classic Label Punch (#141491).   Retiring Blackberry Bliss Nature's Twine (#146342) and retiring Noble Peacock rhinestones (#149494) complete the card.

The octopus is stamped in Mango Melody.  My octopods are almost always a shade of orange.  That was the color of the only octopus I've ever met in the wild.


There are lots of fun and beautiful interpretations of this sketch over at the TGIF Challenges blog here.  Check them out!



Hope you are surviving quarantine.  My friend, Mari, arrived home from her art studio yesterday to find a painted dog.  Her living, breathing pet dog was painted in a rainbow of colors.  She was able to escape to her studio, but her 5 creative kids (ages 4 to 18) were stuck at home . . .

Cheers!--Sara Nell


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creation Station April Blog Hop—Heat Embossing

  Welcome to the Creation Station Blog Hop for April.  Our theme this month is Heat Embossing.   We’ll be sharing heat embossing techniques ...